Welcome to our new website. We're still making some changes so some functions may not work yet. For assistance, email us at info@mertonchamber.co.uk or check back in a few days.

St Andrew’s Church Wimbledon Celebrates 110 Anniversary.

November 1, 2019
General News
Caroline Cook

St Andrew’s Church Wimbledon Celebrates 110 Anniversary.

St Andrew's Church was the 'home' of our former chair, Andrew Wakefield. Who sadly passed away in October 2016.

St Andrews church, Wimbledon, recently celebrated its 110-anniversary and to mark its consecration a commemorative service took place on Wednesday 25 September. On Sunday 29 September a special combined Sunday service saw the community come together as it did 110 years ago.

Charlie Lamont, Priest in charge, explained, “It was a joy to be able to preside over a combined service which brought together the different styles of worship we have at St Andrew's, with a full congregation. We are one body worshiping Jesus, In different ways perhaps, but still one God.”

Location, location, location

St Andrews Wimbledon, which offers both weekly traditional and contemporary Sunday morning services to suit different styles of worship, is centrally located on Herbert Road, only a 2-minute walk from Morrisons car park. However, the story of its history, location and mission provides a fascinating explanation of how and why the church continues to be central to the surrounding community.

Humble beginnings

It all started in 1882 when a small gathering of 10 people at Holy Trinity Church on the Broadway came together with the mission of initiating a new worship group to pray for their community. With the permission of the landlord, they were able to pray in the humble dwellings of an attic above some stables on Kingston Road and this continued for a year.  

Mission to serve

The diocese, recognising their efforts and seeing the congregation grow, decided to present them with a strip of land behind Hartfield Road. Still affiliated with Holy Trinity Church, they built a shack on the site of the current church where the congregation continued to meet for another year offering three services on a Sunday including mass and evensong based on the Anglican faith and the Book of Common Prayer, a tradition which continues to the present day.

St Andrew’s mission to serve the community saw them buy a property 10 years later in Cochraine Road where they had more space to offer Bible Studies and theological talks. Yet the ‘little mission station’ on Herbert Road continued to be its central hub of worship.

Prayers answered

With the help of God, the vision, motivation and dedication of those first 10 people who began to pray in an attic above the stables, blossomed and flourished over the coming years. In 1907 they had enough people and money to build a brick-built church, the magnificent building we see today, which was consecrated one hundred and ten years ago on 25 September 1909.

What’s on at St Andrews today?

Within the Christian faith and the Anglican church St Andrew’s continues to offer two child-friendly Sunday services; a 9am traditional service with a choir and organ and a 10:30 contemporary service with a more relaxed feel. St Andrews Wimbledon is planning to open its doors weekly as a community work Space offering free wifi and good coffee for anyone who would like an alternative work space in Wimbledon. Please watch this space as we aim to serve our community with our beautiful building.

Forthcoming community events

Beer and Carols – 13th December 8pm first orders.

Live nativity with real sheep! – date and sheep to be confirmed

St Andrew’s church hall offers a centrally located space with basic kitchen facilities for community events.

Standrewswimbledon.com

admin@standrewswimbledon.com

SW19 3TJ